Monday 6 December 2010

Initial scribbles.


The first thing I started on was drawings that had been lurking in my head since the intro to this project, I had two ideas to follow these drawings, but one quickly fizzed out since it bored the sh*t out of me.
The idea I began to develop more drawings for was a fly on the wall kinda thing for a student in Birmingham - probably Vis. Comm - but I wanted it to be larger than life and quite obnoxious. Which is where this character appeared from, probably best described as an extention of myself.
I've so far done a couple of pages of drawings of this character, currently working on some more, a brief section of research on artists' books & zines (I plan to make a zine for this project) and just starting some research into a comic strip artist whose characters have inspired mine. 


A close-up of one of the first drawings I did - all nighters and falling asleep on your work is not cool. I've being trying to briefly annotate my drawings as I've gone along; mainly alterations that are needed and notes from ideas.



This was the beginning of another set of drawings that didn't turn out very well (the idea that bored the sh*t out of me) was essentially creating a map or a journey of a bar crawl along Broad Street, each pages working as a separate bar/club - with each image possibly bleeding into the next until the last one is difficult to see (because in reality you'd be wasted).


These were more studies of the character I would want to use in the zine - starting to look at expressions, drawing from other angles and the figure in an environment. I plan to create a mind-map quite soon to develop the content of the zine; places, events, story (if any) and drawing techniques & media, as these are areas that are still a bit blank in my mind.


This is my page on artists' books and zine, reference images are missing at the minute but I'm working on it.

2 comments:

Chiu said...

you need to post larger images around 900 px width please!

+ post your zine research!

Fly on the wall sounds like it has potential - drawings don't say much at the moment - Don't get enamoured with drawings that don't get you anywhere - you need to push your boundaries!

Lauren Street said...

Photos are full size now, and I'll get on with some comparative zine research asap